If you’re moving to Beaufort, South Carolina, you’ll need to change your name and address on all of your important documents. It can seem like a daunting task, but with our help it will be easy!
How do I change my name/address on my tax records?
How does the property tax system work?
In simplified terms, there are three elements to South Carolina’s property tax system:
- Tax rate- The amount generally reflected in “mills,” or “millage rate.”
- Assessment ratio- The percentage of the taxable value of property established by state law.
- Market value- The fair market value for both real estate and personal property.
What is personal property?
In South Carolina, personal property encompasses motor vehicles, recreational vehicles, aircraft and watercraft (including boats, motors, and personal recreational vehicles like wave runners and jet skis, etc.).
Personal Property (Address Changes)
- Documented Vessels – address must be changed with the U.S.Coast Guard at https://www.dco.uscg.mil/ or 1-800-799-8362
- Merchant accounts – address must be changed with Department of Revenue at dor.sc.gov or 1-803-898-5000
- FFE accounts – address must be changed with the County Auditors Office at Auditor@bcgov.net or 1-843-255-2500
- Aircraft – address must be changed with FAA registry.faa.gov or 1-866-762-9434
- Motor Vehicles – address must be changed with SCDMV at scdmvonline.com or 1-803-896-5000
- Watercraft- address must be changed with DNR at dnr.sc.gov or 1-843-953-9301
- In accordance with state law, you must notify the DMV (SC Department of Motor Vehicles).
- It is DMVs record that we use to determine the taxable value of your vehicle.
- DMV’s record determines which taxing district you are in and where to mail your tax bill.
- The wrong address on DMV’s records could result in paying too much tax or not receiving your tax bill.
- This could delay the delivery or renewal of your registration and decal for your license plate.
- Use the link below to print the form, complete it and mail it to DMV.
SC Department of Motor Vehicle Form 4057
Watercraft and Boats/Motors:
- In accordance with state law, you must notify the SC Department of Natural Resources (DNR).
- It is their records that we use to determine which taxing district you are in and where to mail your tax bill.
- The wrong address on DNR’s records could result in paying too much tax or not receiving your tax bill, which can delay the registration renewal.
- Use the link below to print the form, complete it and mail it to DNR.
SC Department of Natural Resources – Change of Address Form